Is it ok to take Amitriptyline along with Omeprazole?

Is it okay to take 20mg of amitriptyline at night, which has been prescribed for a trapped nerve, alongside a 20mg daily dose of omeprazole prescribed for a (now healing) duodenal ulcer?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 54 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query.

After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to be suffering from osteoarthritis with femoral nerve compression with duodenal ulcer & have been prescribed amitryptiline and omeprazole currently.

2. Yes you can take the two drugs with each other. There is no potential drug interaction between the two.

3. However remember that omeprazole is usually prescribed before meal in once a day dosing.

4. Amitriptyline if prescribed in once a day dosing is usually prescribed to be taken at bed time (before sleeping).

5. Thus you need not take both the medicines at the same time.

6. Please reconfirm the dosing of these drugs with your physician.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer any follow up queries.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra