Is it ok to stay in the sauna for long when I am hypertensive?

I want to know if it's okay to stay in the sauna for about 30 minutes at 120 degrees when I take 160 mg.diovan with 12.5 mg hct.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

You can stay in sauna for a long time ,but when you enter the sauna this high temperature may cause a peripheral vasodilatation due to heat causing peripheral pooling of blood and may result in dizziness.

Since you are hypertensive, this phenomenon may be more pronounced. This can happen within first 3-5 minutes of entering the sauna due to the extreme temperature changes so it is best if someone is around to take care of you when you enter sauna.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.