Is it ok to have delayed periods after a breast reduction surgery?

My period is about 3 days late after a general anesthetic on the 4th of april, i had a breast reduction and liposuction on my stomach (though not over weight). i was on my period at the time of the op (about 3/4 days in, and still with a heavy flow), however when i woke up, my period had stopped and i had no more bleeding. is this normal for periods to be late after such an op? i have hed sex in the last month, but not unprotected.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 19 minutes later
Hello Maxine,

Yes, any surgical procedure (involving anesthesia) can be associated with changes in the menstrual cycle.

Surgeries are associated with release of stress hormones, that act on the brain and reduce the release of gonadotrophins, that are necessary for onset of ovulation and then menstruation.

This is a benign change, that is transient and will resolve on its own.

You can expect to have your period within the next few days.

I hope this helps.

I shall be available to answer any follow up queries .