Is it ok for a person with strep throat to have blood in the mucous?

My daughter, age 15, is being treated, since Monday) for strep throat. She has just noticed blood in the mucus she is caughing up. Should I get her back to the doctor.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query,

Your question is a very good one and I will try to provide you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

I would not worry too much about the blood in the mucous. This commonly happens in response to the swelling and inflammation in the throat. Sometimes the mucosa will ooze a bit of blood due to this inflammation and or coughing which might occur during this type of illness.

I recommend you support her with good hydration, rest, good healthy diet and plenty of rest. In addition I would recommend you start her on some ibuprofen 400 mg three times per day to hep address the inflammation.

It may take 48 to 72 hours for her to start to feel much better.

I thank you again for the query and hope my response serves to be adequate and helpful. Should you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga