Is it normal to take melatonin for a longer period?

My teenage son has been taking melatonin almost every night for about 2 years to help him sleep. He is concerned that this has stunted or slowed his growth in height. Is there any truth to that?
Posted Sun, 11 Nov 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

In what dose is your son taking melatonin for sleep? The use of melatonin is not advocated in children for sleep.

In a mean follow-up study of 3.7 years no serious safety concerns were noted in a group taking melatonin for sleep disturbance.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you require any clarifications or want to share any further information regarding this problem.

Wishing your son all the best..