Is it normal to sleep for 16 hours after taking Cymbalta?

my wife took cymbalta for fibre and slept for 16 hrs is that normal?
Posted Mon, 10 Mar 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Important aspects of your query are: • 34 year old female • Known case of fibromyalgia • Complaints of: Excessive sleep after CYMBALTA use. Cymbalta contain duloxetine salt and belong to SNRI class of medicines. It primarily used for anxiety and depression. It is also used for musculoskeletal pain, diabetic neuropathy and fibromyalgia. It can cause excessive sleep during initiation of treatment around 10% cases. If person develops this side effect, then starting dose should be low (20 to 30mg) and doses should be increase gradually. Usually such side effects on its own in 5-10 days after regular medicine use. I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups. Wish you good health. Regards,