Is it normal to see traces of blood in urine after laser treatment for elnarged prostrate?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Hello I had a operation on November 6th for an enlarged prostate via a laser treatment, all went well with good recovery but the last two days I have noticed before I urinate sometimes there are a couple of drops of what looks like fresh blood, I do not see any whilst urinating and none shows at the end of urinating is this just normal? I,m 66 years old . Update tonight I noticed that my urine also had a blood colour in it.
Posted Sat, 11 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sonila Borici 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following answer. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX I read your query very carefully and would like to say that what happened to you is what we call hematuria ( blood in urine). This is a serious condition sometimes and further examinations are necessary. I recommend consulting your urologist and the following examination should be done: - Full blood analysis. - Biochemical analysis. - Urine analysis. - Abdominal ultrasound. - Abdominal x ray. - PSA test. All the best! Dr.Sonila Feel free to ask me other questions you might have!
Follow-up: Is it normal to see traces of blood in urine after laser treatment for elnarged prostrate? 18 hours later
Thank you for your response my Psa count was 4.5 in November prior to my prostate op. The biopsy on my prostate was all clear. The question I have for you is that currently I,m in the U.K. And do not plan to fly back to Cyprus until the 4th XXXXXXX where I,m currently living and had the prostate op, should I go and be examined whilst in the U.k. Or wait until I get back to Cyprus?
Answered by Dr. Sonila Borici 20 hours later
Brief Answer: Please follow the suggestions below... Detailed Answer: Hi again If this is your case, I'd suggest to go to ER and do urine analysis to determine whether you have hematuria or not. If yes, then, should consult an urologist to start the right medicines. If no hematuria, then, you can wait until flighting back to Cyprus to run further tests. Meanwhile, I'd advise to: - drink more water -avoid foods high in calories -avoid alcohol, spicy/chilly foods -avoid caffeine/smoking -during your staying in UK-take local tea containing uva-ursi; XXXXXXX canina Wishing you fast recovery. Dr.Sonila