Is it normal to see redness inside the nose after nose bleeding and scab removal?

ENT Specialist
I had spotaneous nosebleeds for 3 years and they were getting harder to stop so I went to an ENT and she cauterized the inside of my left nostril. She could see the blood vessel plainly. I have left it alone (it was painful for 10 days) and used nothing as she said. I did take a round of antibiotics. After 14 days a small scab came out I looked with a flashlight and there was another. Today after 22 days the last scab came out. My nose is very red inside is that normal? I have had no blood which is just amazing. These bloody noses had all but stopped me from going anywhere. Thanks
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Take medicines Detailed Answer: Hello, After nose bleed and scab removal the nose could be red from inside as the increased blood flow that takes time to settle down. This is common and expected. I usually prescribe -antibiotic -decongestant tablets -antihistaminic tablets -nasal decongestant drops -and normal saline nasal sprays , which help decreasing the inflammation and the redness . and so the chances of bleeding. You can consult your doctor for that. Secondly, have you had nasal endoscopy done earlier to examine the inside of your nose with a nasal endoscope , to rule out presence of any mass ? If not you should get it done now. Get your blood pressures checked and see especially for the evening rise of blood pressure. If there is rise in blood pressure then you must modify dosage of your antihypertensives after consulting your doctor. If you have further queries please reply
Follow-up: Is it normal to see redness inside the nose after nose bleeding and scab removal? 1 hour later
Thank you for your prompt response. I took a course of doxycycline and finished the pills 5 days ago. I understand this is difficult to predict but what are the odds the cauterization will work? Is it something that will need to be done again? Or am I finally able to relax now that its been 3 weeks?
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Relax Detailed Answer: Hello, Yes you can relax as previous cauterisation will not cause any problem . But you need to be cautious for the next time .The bleeding might occur from some other place in nose. you need to get your blood pressure checked . You can use neosporin ointment for local application in nose and normal saline sprays so that the nasal skin is not dried up and does not bleed again. Indoubt do reply
Follow-up: Is it normal to see redness inside the nose after nose bleeding and scab removal? 3 hours later
Thank you Dr. You obviously understand How concerned I am. This has been quite an ordeal for me and now I am facing going out in public again trying not to have overwhelming fear of more occurences. Its been 25 days since cauterization and I'm good. Last question is when my final scab came out, all on its own believe me no blowing or picking here, there was a tiny bit of blood with it. Concerns? I will of course call my ent now that the scabs are gone but i never received a follow up appt or any instructions so most of my info came from the internet .Again, you have been so helpful and reassuring.Thank you
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 11 hours later
Brief Answer: no need to worry Detailed Answer: Hello, As and when scab gets peeled off, we do see few drops of blood ooze. That is normal. It occurs because of dried up skin. I prescribe my patients neosporin ointment and normal saline nose drops , both two times a day to minimize blood ooze and prevent infection. You can use it after discussing with your treating doctor. You can also use steam inhalations , it will help a lot. In all probabilities I am not worried as 3 weeks have passed. Hope this helped. Regards