Is it normal to pass stool from vagina after a paralytic stroke?

Hi...My mother 80 yrs. Suffered a paralytic stroke on 6 XXXXXXX 2014. She was discharged from hopsital on 14Jan. Subsequently we noticed that she is passing stool from vagina. She is presentlyon blood thinners
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: Unrelated to stroke,unrecognized injury Detailed Answer: Hi, I suspect an unrecognized injury to the thin rectovaginal septum during child birth. In the olden days the deliveries were not well managed leading to disruption of this wall. Passing of stool from vagina may not be related to the stroke. This condition happens if there is rectovaginal fistula where rectum is connected to vagina and the stool might appear on the vulvar opening. When there is too much stool or stool stuck in the rectum (anal sphincter disturbance) the thin spetum between the rectum and vagina is disturbed to leading to visible stool at vulvar opening. Most patients require surgery however it is not the case for your mother as she is not a good candidate for surgery. It should be managed well with good nursing and antibiotic prophylaxis. I suggest to see a UroGynecologist in such a case.