Is it normal to pass involuntary stool after a piles operation?

Before few days back my father is undergone through Piles operation now whenever we use to check his undergarments there is littile quantity of stool in it .It is normal after piles operation or it is serious symptom of any mal operation.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 58 minutes later

I understand that he has undergone routine surgery for piles. In this surgery the piles are cut from the base and then sutures are taken.

After this surgery bowel softeners are given for some time as it helps in avoiding straining at stool and helps in faster recovery of wound.This could be one of the reason for this complaint.

In some cases when tone of anal spinchter is low, it cannot hold the stool and lead to leakage.

It is normal to have passage of minimal stools for a week after the surgery.

Please do not worry. Please visit the operationg surgeon and get him examined after a few days.

In some cases, after this kind of surgery pelvic floor muscle exercises are advised to strengthen the muscles and bring back the tone of anal spinchter.

I hope this answers your query, I will be available for follow up.

Wishing your father a speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Is it normal to pass involuntary stool after a piles operation? 54 minutes later
You mean to say these things are common and over a period of time patien will get rid off from this. Doc it is possible to get your cell no for more discussion.

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 13 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

Yes, your understanding is right.Things are fine and will be taken care of with time.

This is normal after this kind of surgery and there is nothing to worry about.

You can write to me here for more information.