Is it normal to notice night terrors in my child suffering from torticollis with a family history of brain lesion and epilepsy?

Nov 2013

My son has torticollis. The doctor has sent him for an MRI which we will have in January and a 24 hour EEG because he also has night terrors every night. On his last exam the neurologist felt around at the base of his neck, then had two other doctors feel, nodded to each other and then ordered an MRI. Are they looking for a tumor? Family history--six year old has a brain lesion and epilepsy
Posted Tue, 7 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 14 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. First of all, I would like to reassure you that your child is unlikely to have a tumor. The doctors examined the base of neck for checking the tone of muscles (spasticity or rigidity). In MRI, they just want to exclude any anomaly that could cause abnormal muscle tone, such as developmental malformation, infections, syringomyelia (cavity in the spinal cord), etc. Tumor is an extremely rare cause, so, there is no need to worry about that. For treatment of torticollis, botox injections are helpful. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG: