Ask a Urologist   »  

Is it normal to notice blood in urine with cyst near prostate in my child?

Jul 2016

My nine year old had in ultra sound due to blood drops that came out when he peed, this lasted 2 days and happened twice a day. Urine test detected small infection not enough for a urinary track infection. His ultra sound results found a cyst near his prostate, is this normal for a nine year old. I am worried the cyst might have been confused with a tumar. Should I be worried or are cysts clearly visable?
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It could be a congenital Cyst. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that your nine years old son has few drops of bllod in his urine and was subjected to Ultrasound scanning which revealed a cyst in prostate. This can not be a tumour as the appearance of the cyst and tumour are well differentiated and can not be mistaken in reporting the nature of mass as cyst is well de-marketed mass filled with fluid where as tumour is hyper echoic structure , Do not worry the cause of his blood in the urine can not be a cyst but mild infection . You can repeat his scanning frequently at regular intervals to be rest assured that it is static and will not have any problem due to cyst itself. Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil. ,