Is it normal to notice blood after having a soft bowel movement with a history of IBS?

Hi Dr. I have been having soft bm's for 3 weeks now. I have to drink prune juice in order to have a bm and then I notice my bm is not well formed. There has been blood on the toliet paper and it hurts to sit down after I go to the bathroom. I have has IBS for over 20 years now.
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Need to be investigated for blood in stools Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. Prune juices have been a popular remedy for constipation. They contain dietary fibers as well as laxatives such as neochlorogenic acid and chlorogenic acid. They are good drugs for treating constipation, and it doesnt matter even if there are not formed stools. We might have considered adding some extra fibres to get the stools formed. Further prune juice also has acrylamide which is a toxic agent and can cause cancers as well. However the main concern is the blood in stools and one needs to ivestigate the cause. Although IBS is one of the cause and the pain and bleeding suggest that there might be an exacerbation in the symptoms. However the other common possibility is piles. This will require a per rectal examination to confirm the piles. Also its strongly advised that you undergo a fresh colonoscopy to identify the causes of bleeding per rectum. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.