Is it normal to have white milky discharge from breasts 5 years after an abortion?

Hello, I had an abortion when I was 17 I am now 22. I still have a clear sometimes milky liquid coming out of my breasts is this normal after so long :s I seen my local doctor a couple if years ago but said it was normal... Deffinatley does not feel like it.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 50 minutes later

Your question is a very good one and I will try to give you some helpful information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

First of all it is important to recognize a pattern of when the symptoms first started. If you only noticed the symptoms starting during that pregnancy then we can maybe make some correlations here. It is unusual to have a clear or milky discharge from the breasts in the absence of pregnancy or lactation.

I think a good work up should be done for you to make sure nothing else is going on. Pregnancy causes a significant change in hormonal status and sometimes may persist for a number of months. In your case if you were my patient I would do a good comprehensive work up.

This work up would include a detailed physical exam as well as a mammogram and perhaps an ultrasound of the breasts to evaluate for the architecture of the ducts.

In addition some laboratory testing should be done to evaluate your hormonal status. We often check hormones including estrogen and progesterone as well as prolactin in addition to some other hormones which can give us an idea of whether or not there is some kind of imbalance going on in your case.

I am really not concerned that there is some kind of malignant process going on in your case. However, I think it is time that a true work up be done to rule out anything else such as the hormonal imbalance I mentioned previously.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you have found my answer and suggestions to be both helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns regarding this issue I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: Is it normal to have white milky discharge from breasts 5 years after an abortion? 2 hours later
It originally started when I was pregnant, my abortion was pretty close to the 3 month XXXXXXX I was informed that it should just dissapear on it's own, almost five years later and it's still here the amount that is being discharged is quite small and does not occur extremely often.. Time to book another doc app!! Thank you for help much appreciated
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 57 minutes later

Thanks for your feedback.

Keep us in mind if we can be of any additional assistance in the future.

Thanks and regards,

Dr. Galamaga.