Is it normal to have varied results for herniation by metod of MRI and CT scan?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had a MRI done on 11/4/2013 stated the following postsurgical changes associated with anterior fusion at the c5 throught c7 levels. at the c3/c4 ;eve;, there is a broad-based central disc protrusion herienation measuring 1mm producing effacement of the thecal sac. at the c4/c5 level, there is mild disc space narrowing, a central disc protrusion herination measuring 3mm and a right paracentral sisc protrusion herination measuring 4.5mm these findings produce mild central canal stenosis and moderate stenosis of the right lateral recess. I then had a ct cervical spine without cintrast on 12/6 and it states incomplete anterior fusion at the c5 throught c7 levels with no radiographic evidence of hardware complication at the c2/c3 and c3/c4, there are 1mm anterior spondylolistheses. at the c4/c5 level, there is mild disc space narrowing a central vertebral body base ostepphyte measuring 2mm. These findings produce mild central canal stenosis and mild to moderate right neural foramen stenosis and mild to moderate right neural foramen stenosis. at the c5/c6 level, there is a broad-base right foraminal certebral body based osteophyte measuring 3mm producing moderate right neural foramen stenosis impinging the right c6 nerve root. at the c6/c7 level, there is a central certebral body based osteophyte measuring 2.5mm producing mild central canal stenosis. I am confused why it would show a more stronger herniation on the MRI than on the cat scan, which one would be more accurate?
Posted Tue, 31 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: MRI findings are more accurate. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. Your MRI report is suggestive of stronger herniation. MRI can detect the soft tissue abnormalities more accurately than a CT scan. Since the disc is a soft tissue, the MRI findings are more accurate. Ct scan can visualize the bony abnormalities like osteophytes more clearly. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Is it normal to have varied results for herniation by metod of MRI and CT scan? 18 hours later
It has been confirmed that I have not fuse. My questions now are as followed 1. If I do not have a new fusion done, will I continue to experience more problems? 2. I also have curve developing in my neck as well, is this possible from the surgery? It was not there before. 3. If I have a impingement on my nerve and do not move forward with having it removed, will I get worse or will it get better in time. 4. The new area they are wanting to correct is my C4, what can I expect far as range of motion to have my c3,c4,c5,c6,c7 fuse? 5. I am very intimidated with having surgery again, since I did not fuse the first time. I don’t smoke or drink or take any drugs that would stop me from fusing. 6. They are now talking about taking bone from my hip and using it instead of artificial bone they use the first time. Will I have limits with bone being taken from my hip? I know I have a lot of questions and I do appreciate speaking with someone that has a better understanding about these issues. I know your not able to give me complete medical advice but your knowledge is much appreciated and needed.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Detailed answer as per your queries below. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. I will answer all your concerns one by one. 1. If you do not opt for fusion now, the problems may gradually increase with time. Regular physiotherapy can only help in retarding the degenerative changes progression. 2. The curve in the neck is related to your position and is not due to the surgery. 3. The nerve impingement gets worse with time as the disc prolapse will gradually increase with wear and tear. 4. The range of motion will decrease slightly but it does not affect the routine life to much extent. 5. This is not related to taking medicines or smoking. The failure to fuse happens in few cases and can be related to osteoporosis. 6. A graft taken from hip is a common procedure. Since it is a non weight bearing area from which the graft is taken, it will not affect you in any way. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards