Ask a Dentist   »  

Is it normal to have tooth pain in root canal treated teeth?

My name is Diane. I will be brief.. Back tooth was crowned..then a root canal...then I went to a endontics sp?.. to cut the roots..After a year it's still bothering me so my dentist wants to pull it out. I am so angry $$$$$$ It's like having a face lift 3 times and your dr says ..Oh well sorry it didn't work. Taking antibiotics for now. Is this the norm??? Anything else I can do besides loose this tooth? Pulling a tooth and then an implant seems extreme. Implants are 3 grand besides the cost of pulling my tooth and prep is for me with insurance about $300.
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Farah Hussain 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: x-ray evaluation and re treatment helps Detailed Answer: Hi there; Welcome to XXXXXXX forum; Root canal treatment is done to remove the infected tooth nerve or dental pulp and the canals are cleaned; disinfected and filled. This procedure devitalizes the tooth and makes it pain free. As you have mentioned your root canal treated tooth troubles you had, it indicates there is some remnant infection left unexplored or canals are not disinfected properly or possibly there is some periapical infection. Exact diagnosis can me made by x ray evaluation. I would advise you to get an OPG radiograph done accordingly the tooth can be re explored remnant pulp tissue can be extirpated and disinfected; there is no need to extract the tooth if the tooth is firm with good prognosis, please visit a endodontist and get the tooth re treated. I hope this helps; Take care; Dr.Farah XXXXXXX
Follow-up: Is it normal to have tooth pain in root canal treated teeth? 2 days later
The endodontist I went to cut the roots in March. It has never healed properly. Three different things have been done to this tooth now they want to pull it. Their is nothing wrong with the tooth. It has a little infection underneath it. I can't see pulling it after all I have gone through and $$$$$. I have an appointment with the Endodontist on Fri. If their was no infection until he cut the roots, is it his responsibility to fix this. I am so frustrated. Having 3 things done to a tooth now they want to pull it and put in an implant that will cost me a fortune.
Answered by Dr. Farah Hussain 17 hours later
Brief Answer: x ray needed. Detailed Answer: Hello; I understand your agony. It is sad to know you witnessed such problems. My suggestion to you is not to go for removal of tooth if it is firm with good bone support. If you have an X-ray image please send me here I can guide you in a better way. Take care.