Is it normal to have swollen foot after child birth?

Question
Just had a baby one month ago, legs swollen and the top of foot is turning black, when press finger into leg the impression remains for at least 3 minutes - any concerns.
Posted Sun, 18 Nov 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 24 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing to us
I think the swelling of your leg, retention of the finger impression in the leg and change of colour of the top of the foot may be due to fluid retention and impairment of blood circulation. The most common cause is DVT or XXXXXXX Vein Thrombosis. It is a complication after child birth. This is a medical emergency and you need to go the ER quickly. The blackish area can represent possibly dead area and this can spread quickly.

It is definitely needs medical attention. I strongly advise you to see a Physician for through examinations and special tests and treatment.
Kindest regards
Dr. S.K.Mukherjee

Follow-up: Is it normal to have swollen foot after child birth? 1 hour later
Thank you

Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 2 hours later
You are welcome.

I will be pleased to answer any other queries that you might have.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

Kindest regards
Dr. S.K.Mukherjee