Is it normal to have swelling after bruising Tibia?

I bruised my left Tibia 8 days ago. I have swelling the size of a golf ball. I'm wondering if 1) this is normal for the swelling to last this long and if not 2) if based on my medical history I should get my leg checked to make sure swelling is normal and there are no adverse issues
Posted Sun, 15 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: If you are comfortable, then don't be worried... Detailed Answer: Hi, You most likely would have a collection under your skin. Injured tissues bleed. This collection is seen as a lump which can last for few days to weeks. We can confirm the collection through an ultrasound scan. But if you are comfortable and able to walk without any troubles, then you can leave this alone. Antiinflammatory pain killer will be helpful if you have pain associated with the swelling. Else just leave that alone. It would resolve in the due course of time. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Follow-up: Is it normal to have swelling after bruising Tibia? 19 minutes later
Not really a follow up question but more of a comment. If you reviewed my profile you would have seen that I take blood thinners and therefore am not able to take anti-inflammatories. Just saying maybe you should take a little more time in responding to patients since not every background is the same. And keep in mind some patients on warfarin may not be fully aware to stay away from anti-inflammatories and would take your suggestion.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Appreciate your comments... Detailed Answer: I am glad that you are aware of warfarrin and antiinflammatory drug interactions. However as I mentioned antiinflammatory drug is ONLY warranted if you have painful symptoms. If it is not hurting you, you can leave that alone. Based on my experience, patients on long term anticoagulation drugs have stable INR value. Therefore I do not mind using low dose antiinflammatory drugs when they are in severe pain. Should you feel the need to use antiinflammatory drugs in future, you can get your INR checked and talk to your doctors. I hope my views are clear to you. Thanks anyway for your comments. Wish you a speedy recovery. Regards