Is it normal to have stuffy nose after taking trazodone for sleep?

I started trazodone for sleep and now I am getting a stuffy nose, is this normal?
Posted Fri, 7 Feb 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Manisha Gopal 33 hours later
Brief Answer: One may develop stuffy nose but must keep a check Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX I have read the question and it says that you are on trazodone for sleep, and now you have developed stuffy nose. You think it might be due to the medicine. from my clinical experince I can say that one may have complaint of nasal congestion/ stuffy nose after taking this medicine. This is usually taken to be harmless & may resolve after some time on its own ( it is not mentioned for how many days it has been there). However, if it persist or leads to ear problem or there is development of snoring or any kind of breathing issues, one should discontinue this medicine. There are many safer alternatives available for sleep like clonazepam, or zolpidem, etc, which can be given to patients who have problems with trazodone. I would suggest that if this stuffy nose persist or it increases- then you should discuss this with your doctor and ask for change in medicine. He would know about the above mentioned drugs. Hope the reply is useful for you Wish you good health ! Feel free to ask more questions for clarification If you are satisfied, please close the query & rate the answer Dr. Manisha Gopal MD Psychiatry