Is it normal to have spotting brownish blood after hysterectomy?

Mar 2013
I had a hysterectomy in XXXXXXX For the past week or so have been spotting brownish blood. Is this normal?
Posted Wed, 18 Dec 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: NOT NORMAL, INVESTIGATION IS WARRANTED. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. No , it is not normal for you to be spotting 6 months after your surgery. Between 4 -6 weeks after a hysterectomy, some amount of spotting is to be expected and considered ' normal '. This warrants investigation. YOu should have a gynaecological evaluation - internal examination by per vaginum and per speculum. ALso, a smear. A pelvic transvaginal ultrasound scan should be done. Causes can include - 1. Granulation tissue - Excessive new tissue that grows over the stitched lower portion of the vagina ( or portion of cervix, if left behind ) . 2. Atrophic vaginitis - due to hormone deficiency, the vaginal mucosa becomes thin and friable and breaks down easily, leading to bleeding. 3. A new lesion or growth on the portion of the cervix or vagina left behind. There are a few other rare causes, but if you could tell me for what indication the hysterectomy was done, it would help me to guide you better. ALso, how was the hysterectomy done ( abdominally, vaginally, laparoscopically, robotic ) and was it total or partial. IN itself, post hysterectomy bleeding months after the index surgery needs looking into. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: Is it normal to have spotting brownish blood after hysterectomy? 1 hour later
It was a vaginal hysterectomy for heavy periods. I still have my ovaries and one tube. The other tube got cut during surgery. I had myomas and everything was benign.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hi, I assume the cervix was totally removed. Then the possibility is either granulation tissue or atrophic vaginitis. Please have an evaluation to confirm the diagnosis. Take care.