Is it normal to have spotting brownish blood after hysterectomy?
User rating for this question
I had a hysterectomy in XXXXXXX For the past week or so have been spotting brownish blood. Is this normal?
Posted Wed, 18 Dec 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: NOT NORMAL, INVESTIGATION IS WARRANTED. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. No , it is not normal for you to be spotting 6 months after your surgery. Between 4 -6 weeks after a hysterectomy, some amount of spotting is to be expected and considered ' normal '. This warrants investigation. YOu should have a gynaecological evaluation - internal examination by per vaginum and per speculum. ALso, a smear. A pelvic transvaginal ultrasound scan should be done. Causes can include - 1. Granulation tissue - Excessive new tissue that grows over the stitched lower portion of the vagina ( or portion of cervix, if left behind ) . 2. Atrophic vaginitis - due to hormone deficiency, the vaginal mucosa becomes thin and friable and breaks down easily, leading to bleeding. 3. A new lesion or growth on the portion of the cervix or vagina left behind. There are a few other rare causes, but if you could tell me for what indication the hysterectomy was done, it would help me to guide you better. ALso, how was the hysterectomy done ( abdominally, vaginally, laparoscopically, robotic ) and was it total or partial. IN itself, post hysterectomy bleeding months after the index surgery needs looking into. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: Is it normal to have spotting brownish blood after hysterectomy? 1 hour later
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
People also viewed
- Is spotting after hysterectomy normal
- Spots on face after hysterectomy
- Is it normal to have spotting brownish blood after hysterectomy
- Underweight heart murmur
- Had cyst drained do i need to cover
- Underarm groin rash
- Uncontrolled type 2 diabetes and low hematocrit
- Is bulky uterus a deases
- Upper right rib cage pain at night
- Upper back pain and green stools
- Is fainting normal after hysterectomy
- Episiotomy side effect on sexual life
- Labium is long n stretched
- Pain after hysterectomy is this normal
- Hole in skin around vulva