Is it normal to have soreness in abdomen and throat after a Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography?

General Surgeon
I had a ercp performed on my upper abdomen its a bit sore and also my throat is there anything that will help soothe the soreness? The procedure was done yesterday
Posted Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Warm saline gargling will help Detailed Answer: Namasthe Welcome to healthcare-magic Greetings of the day Dear Ms XXXX Soreness in the Oesophagus and throat is quite common following instrumentation of Upper Gastro-intestinal tract. Its usually self limiting and should subside in couple of days time. I would suggest you the following which will definitely give the much needed relief 1. Warm Saline Gargling: Add two teaspoon of common table salt to a glass of lukewarm water( bring the water to boil thoroughly and allow it to cool to make it lukewarm). Gargle 3- 4 times a day. This is a written advise i give to all my patients and none have got back to me with complaints of soreness 2. To a glass of milk add the following + 10 leaves of Tulsi(if available in your locality)+ 2 black pepper+ 1 spoon of turmeric(antiseptic action)+ 2 gm of ginger+ 2 spoon of sugar(to make it palatable). Bring the mixture to boil making a decoction of it. Strain it using a strainer. Drink it hot with few sips at a time(the same way as you drink frshly brewed coffee). Drink 3 - 4 times a day. 3. To a sugar cube or sugar candy add two drops of fresh lemon juice and chew it: It promotes salivation, salivation by its flushing and antibacterial action helps soothen throat. I hope it helped In case you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take Care Wishing you and your family a happy new year. Take care Best regards Dr Deepak K k MBBS,MS,MCH Consultant surgeon