Is it normal to have single loop of cord around foetal neck during pregnancy?

Hello, My report shows that there is single loop of cord around foetal neck. It is worrying me. I am on 32 weeks and 3 days. Kindly advice.
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Not worrisome Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. I have seen the ultrasound report attached. A single loop of cord around the baby's neck is usually a loose one and it unloops from the baby's neck on it's own. It's a very common occurrence. Babies play with their cord in the womb and often manage to get caught in loops --- they also often manage to unloop themselves. As long as your ultrasounds show the blood flow is fine, baby's doing fine too. So don't worry. Just go for a follow up scan after 2 weeks to see if the loop has come off and the blood supply to the baby is normal. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: Is it normal to have single loop of cord around foetal neck during pregnancy? 3 hours later
Hello Mam, Thanks for your quick reply. Actually in last week sonography report, there was no cord around neck and also I was feeling more foetal movements. This week from tuesday, there was less foetal movements which made me worried and I wend through sonography and found single cord around neck in report. Also there is increase in weight of 286 gm which is good. Is less foetal movement is because of cord around neck or there may be other reasons.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Not due to single loop of cord. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. A single loop of loose cord is not likely to affect the fetal movements. The decrease in fetal movements is more commonly associated with a decrease in liquor which has been found normal in your recent scan. So there is no need to worry. You can monitor your fetal movements after meals by lying down in left lateral position. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards