Is it normal to have shortness of breath after had stents and pacemaker put in heart?

Question
I AM VERY WORRIED ABOUT MY SISTER. she had 3stents in her heart ,and a pacemaker put in. SHE HAS HAD TO GO BACK AND HAVE HER HEART SHOCKED INTO RHYTHEM,AND SEEMED O.K., BUT NOW SHE IS REGRESSING. SHE HASN'T GOT ENOUGH AIR TO WALK 10 FEET IN HER HOUSE. HER REGULAR DR. TELLS HER IS GOING TO TAKE TIME. YES, I HAVE HEART OROBLEMS, AND AGREE IT DOES TAKE TIME TO GET OVERT,BUT YOU GET A LITTLE BETTER EVERY DAY,NOT GO BACKWARDS. I AM WONDERING IF SHE COULD HAVE A BLOOD CLOT ON THE LUNG OR SOMETHING. WE ARE THREE HUNDRED MILES AWAY FROM A CARDIOLAGIST. PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN.
Posted Tue, 31 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: Rule out worsening heart failure Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXX, Thanks for your query. Indeed, as you mention, many times coronary artery disease gets better with medications and time, but when it doesn't, then we worry about developing heart failure, which can present with XXXXXXX arrhythmias as you mentioned. It can also manifest with shortness of breath on exertion. She needs to be re-staged by a cardiologist to see where her heart function is (get an echocardiogram), determine what is the origin of the arrhythmia and treat accordingly and very importantly, review her medications and optimize them as much as possible. Would not be surprised if she needs hospitalization to be optimized, as it may be on her best interest. Hope this helps, wish you the best, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic Cardiology