Is it normal to have sharp pain and extreme numbness in eyebrow after having stitches on eyebrow?

Jan 2014

hello. on 12 oct 2013, i was intoxicated and running on stairs in pioneer square, portland. i fell on my face and deeply lacerated my eyebrow and lower eyelid. i spent the night in the trauma center and received 53 stitches to my eyebrow and 32 to my lower lid. my eyebrow still causes severe icepick sharp pain, extreme numbness, tightness, itching and feels like it is made of wax and is sore to the touch. there are still red areas to the healing scars/skin on the eyebrow & lower lid. is this normal?
Posted Sun, 15 Dec 2013 in Beauty
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hypertrophic Scar.Will take some time. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX. I sympathize with you for sustaining such an accident, but the good thing is that you got immediate medical and surgical attention and now your wound is healing. First let me enlighten you a little bit about wound healing: 1)If a person presents to a healthcare center within 6 hours of injury the wound is typically closed immediately after evaluating and cleaning the wound as in your case. This results in a small line of scar tissue and a cosmetically good result. This is called 'primary intention healing' where the wound edges heal directly touching each other. The goal is to minimize the need for granulation tissue by holding wound edges tightly together. Whereas healing by secondary intention, may be the only possibility if the wound is infected or contaminated or more than 6 hours have elapsed after sustaining Injury. It results in lot more scaring and gives a cosmetically poor result. 2)The second important point which governs how well a wound heals is the orientation of scar. Face has 'Relaxed skin tension lines(RSTL)', if the scar is oriented in the direction of RSTL it gives a good result cosmetically and heals faster because it is not subjected to stress/tension during healing and vice versa Now coming to your complaints: The Symptoms that you mention: sharp pain, numbness, tightness, itching and soreness are because FIRSTLY your scar is still fresh even though its been more than a month and a scar continues to re-model itself for months or years and SECONDLY may be because the wound/suture line was difficult to orient in the direction of RSTL, so their has been a little bit more granulation tissue deposited at that site because of tension at the wound healing site thus resulting in a hypertrophic scar(in other words your wound has healed with little bit more scaring than was required), giving rise to the symptoms of redness, tightness, soreness and itching. Redness would go with time. Normally a mature scar(>6 months) is Avascular and looks white. I would advice that you consult a dermatologist. Your treating doctor can prescribe you various gels which can decrease the symptoms of itching, soreness, redness and make the scar more pliable. These gel contain ingredients like Allium cepa, Allantoin, Heparin. Feeling of Numbness and soreness would also improve once your scar becomes soft and pliable. I would appreciate if you can send me a picture of the affected area. take care regards Dr. kakkar
Follow-up: Is it normal to have sharp pain and extreme numbness in eyebrow after having stitches on eyebrow? 10 minutes later
here are a few pics. the first one is how i look today
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: Scar healing well. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX. Thanks for the pictures. Your scar actually is healing quite well than i was expecting! The suture line is along the RSTL, so it would give you a cosmetically good result and would be barely noticeable after few months according to me. I would advice that you get one of these gels prescribed by a dermatologist (as i told you before). One is these products is available by the name of Contractubex gel internationally. It will help make the scar more pliable, and would decrease the symptoms of tightness, redness, itching as well. take care and get well soon Dr. kakkar
Follow-up: Is it normal to have sharp pain and extreme numbness in eyebrow after having stitches on eyebrow? 1 hour later
thank you for all of your help! i have been so anxious and keep getting "glimpses" of my face hitting the cement and shearing off whenever i get afraid of falling, but i don't know if that's a true or made up memory since i fortunately don't actually remember the fall itself. my boyfriend is quite frustrated with my new found anxiety and fears. i hope these will pass soon, as well. have a wonderful & blessed thanksgiving
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you :-) Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX. Thanks Don't keep yourself reminding about the episode. I know it must have been difficult for you specially because its on the face and everyone notices but that's a done thing now. God bless Regards.