Is it normal to have seizures during therapeutic cooling treatment for heart attack?
User rating for this question
I have a friend who had a heart attack and the physicians initiated therapeutic cooling, and as they were rewarming her, she began to have seizures. Is this normal? She was also showing signs of eye movement (blinking). Many people are texting, calling and asking for updates. I do not want to alarm them, but want to offer some information.
Posted Thu, 9 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen 1 hour later
Brief Answer: This safe and has good outcomes Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing on XXXXXXX I have thoroughly read your question & deeply understand your concern. Therapeutic hypothermia (TH) after heart attacks has good outcomes.More than half of the patients survived with >90% improvement in the neurological function in one of the studies.It is relatively safe technique Shivering, seizures,increase/decrease in heart rate, increase in blood glucose levels are considered to be normal side effects of TH. This can be take care by adequate nursing care which is especially important during the initial phase to monitor shivering, seizures, eye care etc. Blinking of eye is a part of seizure activity. Only if the seizures are continuous(upto 3 days post cardiac arrest) then it indicates poor outcome. Hope this answers your query and helps you share information to your relatives. Good luck.Your friend will get well soon. Keep us posted for further queries.
People also viewed
- Could shingles be related to ear pain and acne breakout
- Hiccup during heart attack
- Enlarged lateral ventricles brain adult
- Causes of ataxia in adults
- Minor heart attack treatment
- Widowmaker heart attack treatment
- Branchial cleft cyst in adults
- What could the water blisters on knee signify
- Enlarged ventricles in brain adult
- How to treat a large pimple inside my nostril
- Heart attacks and bruising treatment
- Will glycomet 500 solve polytheistic ovaries syndrome
- Treatment and cure for Heart attack
- Spina bifida in adults treatment
- Why do i have bleeding after having completed menstruating