Is it normal to have scar due to leukemia?

My friend had leukemia twice and he has a scar from it that still hurts and won't ask his doctor about it. Is this normal, what can be done to stop the pain?
Posted Mon, 3 Dec 2012 in Blood Cancer(Leukemia)
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
I think you are refering to a mental trauma by the word Scar here, if not please let me know. Your friend is probably having post traumatic stress disorder that is common after serious illnesses.
Counselling with a good psychiatrist would be appropriate step to open with, it would help her. If needed there are good medicines that can help her thinking.
This ideation is not normal but is amenable to treatment.
I hope the advise would be helpful for you.

Follow-up: Is it normal to have scar due to leukemia? 58 minutes later
No, not a mental scar, it's an actual scar from the port that was on his chest for chemo.
Welcome back to HCM!
the scar of chemothaerapy port is very small and is painful for quite some time, slight pain can persist upto 6months. If more than that then it should be examined by a plastic surgeon who can excise the inflammatory tract and can make the scar extinct for better cosmetic results as well.
Medicines would not help in this matter unless an infection can be proven.
I hope that answers your query.