Is it normal to have ringing and pressure in the ear after removing tonsils?

ENT Specialist
I had my tonsils removed six days ago, I have had some ear pain but now i have ringing and pressure in one ear is this normal and how can I make this go away.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 35 minutes later

1. Ear pain after Tonsillectomy is a referred pain due to common nerve supply. You may continue with Tyenol for a few more days.

2. The ringing (tinnitus) and pressure in one ear may be due to underlying reason that you are on Nasal spray and decongestant. Nasal decongestants are notorious for rebound congestion.

3. You may initially take an anti histamine like cetrizine 10 mg once a day with regular steam inhalation after discussing with your doctor.

4. If all these medications do not work, get your ear drum examined and get a PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) and an I/A (Impedance Audiogram) done. If these tests are within normal limits, there is no cause for worry and these symptoms will subside on their own.

5. Long standing chronic tonsillitis in adults leads to severe fibrosis and adhesions within the capsule of the tonsil. Dissection of the tonsil involves more tissue damage, hence more bleeding, pain and post operative scarring. Possibly, children tend to forget and ignore the pain through distractions more easily. Adult patients may have significant post nasal drip and acid reflux, which may delay post operative healing.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them. Let me know if these symptoms do not subside in another week or if any test result is abnormal.