Ask a Urologist   »  

Is it normal to have pus and blood after circumcision?

Hi Good Evening Sir,

I was circumcised before 10 days and excess skin has removed unfortunately by the doctor now it was fully covered with pus and below the pus when cleaned blood was coming and when i reported back 2 doctor he has given me an ointment debridace(papain-urea debriding ointment) for 5 days followed by stitches, sir please tell me what is use of this what makes this exactly and even my penis was erecting during sleep from day 1 after surgery
Posted Fri, 26 Oct 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 28 minutes later
Good Evening.
This is an infrequent sequel to circumcision, and happens when circumcision is done for unretractable foreskin beneath which there has been build up of smegma, which is the whitish substance normally produced in that area.
Luckily, most infections in that area do respond well to antibiotic treatment and local cleaning and dressing.
Unless there is persistent bleeding, which should be reported immediately to the doctor, you can try the medicines which have been prescribed and see how things are. If you feel that the lesion is getting worse, or if you have fever or bleeding, you should get access to a better care immediately. Most surgeons use catgut sutures which might be apparently sticking out of the wound, but usually they do not cause trouble, and will eventually fall off.
Hope I have been able to help you.
Follow-up: Is it normal to have pus and blood after circumcision? 8 minutes later
Respected sir can u tell me about why ointment debridace(papain-urea debriding ointment) was given to me and what it will do sir
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 14 hours later
I personally have never had to use this ointment in my practice, but I imagine it's role is to make easy the removal of the surface dead tissue which we call debridement, and thereby cleaning and dressing of the wound becomes better.
This will help the antibiotics reach the healthy tissue without impediment, and aid in regeneration of new tissue.
Follow-up: Is it normal to have pus and blood after circumcision? 19 hours later
Good Morning Sir,

Sir Could I Eat Non-Veg my surgery was happened before 12 days except that small amount of tissue area reaming was healed better i have 2 go for stitches after 3 days from this day sir
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 4 hours later
Under normal circumstances, diet has no relation to healing of the wound unless you are a diabetic. So you probably can eat the kind of food that you want to have.