Is it normal to have post angioplasty hematoma?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Good Morning-Last Sunday I had a massive heart attack-STEMI- was rushed to the hospital and within what seemed like minutes brought to the XXXXXXX lab and had an angioplasty done. One artery blocked due to a blood clot and the 2nd 70% blockage. Procedure went beautifully and was sent to CICU. 8 hours later I felt extreme pain in my leg and felt like it was tearing from within. I pressed for the nurse-she came, got a team of doctors, and my cardiologist on the phone (3am) and they were pressing on my leg to disperse the blood that was now pooling. My stats were dropping-BP down to 50/40 pulse 23..but I was fighting--they brought me back-with divine intervention. However, my leg from knee to groIn is purple-black and blue and is extremely swollen. They did doppler and said there was no blockage. I was sent home Thursday night. It is difficult to do everything-from walking to even sitting on the toilet. It feels like there is an inflated inner tube inside my upper thigh. Is all this normal for post angioplasty hematoma? Im worried and paranoid.
Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 24 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for the query
if there wasn't arterial damage during the angioplasty then postoperative symptoms in leg should be minimal.
but occasionally there is minor injury which cam lead to vessel rupture, temporary trombosis or pseudoaneurysm. This would explain your symptoms.
till there is no numbness, color change to paleness, loss of pulsatility in legs or muscle rigidity,you don't have to be worried. This could have been vasospasm and up to 5 days is necessary till blood flow fully recovers and pain subside. Try to avoid long standing and cold environment. If you notice some symptoms I be mentioned above,you should visit hospital.till that,treat the pain with nononflamatory painkiller and I am sure this is enough and you ll feel better soon. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help.regards