Is it normal to have pins and needles in foot when suffering from fibromyalgia?

Question
Every morning I wake on when I step on floor I feel pins and needles in both feet what can cause this dr says I have fibromyalgia is this normal I have been tested for ms all negative had 4 brain MRI in the pass 4 yrs cervical and thoracic normal . Also have back pain all the time doesn't go away have some findings in lumbar MRI my concern is the I don't have fibro but ms even though dr says no thank you
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Prasad 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: It is not MS... Detailed Answer: Dear, I went through the details posted and my comments are: 1. MS always present with varying symptoms localised to different areas of the body. It is not likely to cause symptoms at the same place. Since your symptom remains on the same part and every day, I do not think it is going to be Multiple sclerosis. You can rule it out from the list of differentials. 2. I would be interested to know what findings were found on lumbar MRI. Are your doctors worried with those findings. If you have a low back ache, it may or may not be related to those findings. 3. Pins and needles in both feet is not normal. This type of paraesthesia is commonly associated with peripheral neuropathy. I would test your blood sugar, vitamin B12 levels, hemoglobin, blood counts, ESR, thyroid functions, vitamin D, Magnesium and calcium levels besides checking your peripheral pulses if I were to be seeing you. If you haven't done all of these tests, please consult your physician and discuss about it. Each of these test should provide clues to your diagnosis and its treatment. 4. I hope you don't smoke and drink often. If yes, they may be related. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards

Follow-up: Is it normal to have pins and needles in foot when suffering from fibromyalgia? 4 minutes later
No smoking or drinking blood work all normal MRI OF C AND T SPINE NORMAL THIS WAS ABOUT 9 MONTHS AGO ALSO L SPINE MRI SHOWED MILD DEGENERATIVE CHANGES DISC BULGE WITH MILD MASS EFFECT UPON THECAL SAC AND BILATERAL FORAMINAL NARROWING ALSO L4-L5 BILATERAL DISC PROTRUSIONS AND ANNULAR TEAR LEFT ASPECT OF DISC DR EXPLAINED BUT DONT REALLY UNDERSTAND

Answered by Dr. Prasad 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Peripheral pulse check?? Detailed Answer: Hi, 1. I am not sure if the MRI report that you typed is complete. If it is complete, without the right punctuations I am unable to comprehend the details you submitted. Any way if your doctors were not concerned about it, you need not be worried. 2. If you want me to explain the MRI report, I would want you to scan and upload the complete report on this site. You can use the site's uploader to upload the file. 3. You did not mention if your peripheral blood circulation was checked. It is not be wise to ignore your peripheral pulse check in this case. I would order for doppler studies to analyse the blood flow if I felt suspicious blood flow in your peripheries. 4. If all blood work up (including ESR and ANA) and peripheral blood circulation was normal, I would treat you with vitamin supplements for couple of months. If it doesn't improve, it may be attributed to somatic causes. You can get this treated under care of a neuropsychiatrist. Hope this helps. You can ask for more clarifications before closing the discussion. Regards

Follow-up: Is it normal to have pins and needles in foot when suffering from fibromyalgia? 12 minutes later
Don't have report but aside from back pain and pins and needles in feet I also feel tingling in my arm dr says it can come from fibromyalgia but I don't know much about fibro thank u

Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Fibromyalgia can be handled by neuropsychiatrist Detailed Answer: Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition with myriad of symptoms spread across different areas of the body. Besides back ache, tingling and pins-needles you may also have abdominal bloating, indigestion, fatigue, muscular weakness and many other symptoms. It can coexist with depression and other psychological problems. Most importantly all the symptoms are not explained by known organic medical conditions. That means of your doctors have investigated you extensively and ruled all conditions, these symptoms are attributed to Fibromyalgia. A neuropsychiatrist or a regular psychiatrist can be able to manage this condition with medicines and psychotherapy sessions. You'll benefit from meeting them. In this context I would like to add that if your periods are changed recently - if you have irregular periods you should see a gynecologist too. Few women experience early menopause which can be responsible for these tingles and pins-needles sensation. As a whole, you need be very concerned if all the tests are negative. Hope I have helped you. I would like you to indicate by your reviews if it was helpful. You can close the discussions to review if you have no more queries. Good luck!

Follow-up: Is it normal to have pins and needles in foot when suffering from fibromyalgia? 46 minutes later
Thank you for answer when will i feel ok normal does fibro has a time it stops all symptoms

Answered by Dr. Prasad 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Symptoms can be treated... Detailed Answer: Hi, Fibromyalgia can be controlled symptomatically, but the time taken to bring the symptoms down its not definable. Your treating doctor can predict the time based on the treatment suggested and his future assessment. Regards