Ask a Dentist   »  

Is it normal to have peeling gums in cold weather?

All of a sudden, The skin on my gums is starting to fall off and its almost a 1 inch section of skin that falls off daily now, I dont know if it's because of the cold weather or what, but it's been going on for 2 or 3 days now.
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Due to periodontal disease Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. From your symptoms, two possibilities should be ruled out. these are: 1)Gingivitis which is an inflammation of the gums. 2) Periodontal disease Based on your symptoms, it looks like an infection of the gums resulting in falling off of the skin. I suggest you to get it checked from a dentist as he will look for signs of periodontitis using X-rays or periodontal probing. You need to consult a dentist and get a systemic antibiotic prescribed. Oral hygiene is of great importance in treating and preventing periodontal disease and you should brush twice daily and floss your teeth. Also try restricting sugar as it is is known to significantly increase plaque accumulation by feeding the bacteria that cause the infection while decreasing white blood cell function. Fresh fruits, and vegetables, whole grains, and fiber should be taken and take plenty of sardines, canned salmon, dark green leafy vegetables (spinach, collards, XXXXXXX turnip greens, mustard mustard greens) broccoli, brazil nuts, tofu and all soy products, sunflower seeds. Also take calcium supplements in diet and change your toothpaste brand and avoid using mouthwashes if your problem is caused by sensitivity to toothpaste or mouthwash. In addition get tartar removed regularly and use enzymatic agents containing lysozyme, lactoperozidase, glucose oxidase, mutanase, and dextranase. You can also use mouth washes containing chlorhexidine or hydrogen peroxide. You can get them prescribed from your dentist. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL