Is it normal to have pain in right quadriceps after hip replacement?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I had both hips replaced in the fall of 2012. Left hip no problem and no pain ever. Right hip not so lucky. When I first tried moving off the hospital bed I was surprised by incredible pain in my right quadriceps. After PT and a few weeks, pain and resulting weakness subsided. Now, pain has returned although some days are pain free. I am not doing anything I can imagine would cause the return. Any ideas? Ray Herrmann
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Aseptic loosening is always a possibility. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. It can be caused by a variety of conditions. Although aseptic loosening of implant is always a possibility, extrinsic and other intrinsic causes of pain must always be ruled out. I suggest you to consult your surgeon for detailed examination of hip and go for xrays to see the condition of bone and implant. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care