Is it normal to have pain after sinus surgery and repair of deviated septum? Is a drooping eyelid normal?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had sinus surgery Nd a repair of a deviated septum 5 days ago. I have 3 questions: 1. Is it normal to still have lots of pain? 2. I have splints inside my nose and it seems like the left one is much higher than the right. Is that normal? Lastly, 3. My right eye lid is drooping quite a bit. Is that normal?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 minutes later

After the surgery it is normal to have pain and swelling of nose, cheek and area around the eyes. This makes the appearance of splints to be at different levels. This will all subside in a week or so.

You can help reduce the swelling and pain by putting ice on the face, bridge of the nose, and eyes as much as tolerated.

This will help with postoperative edema and pain. You can use frozen vegetable packs instead of ice packs for this.

The drooping of eyelid is due to swelling around the eyelid. This will come back to normal once the swelling subsides.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.