Is it normal to have pain after nerve decompression surgery?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello, I am a 19 year old who has had a L5 discectomy and release of nerve on 10/17/13 then herniated L4 after the surgery had a second surgery in the same area with removal of a cyst on the nerve on 1/14/14. I have been on oxycodone on and off since August 2013 last prescription after surgery was 20 mg every 4 hours for the pain. Since my post op visit on 1/27 the pain medication prescribed was Percocet 10/325 1-2 tablets every 4 hours as needed my pain is not controlled and I am in a bad place. The surgeon is not willing to 7/10 at best. work with me to wean the medication in a less aggressive way and I will be running out of the medication in 5 days they gave me 60 tablets for 6 weeks. I am also using motrin 400 mg every 6 hours and Valium 5 mg at bedtime. What can I do? I am anxious to feel better I do no longer have the pain in my legs however the back pain is at best
Posted Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Decrease pain medicine frequency. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. Since the surgical decompression of the nerve has been done the pain that you are having now must be much lesser than what you were having before surgery. The pain medications gradually need to be decreased. You need to concentrate more on the local treatments to control the pain like hot fomentation local analgesic gels using a L-S belt for support and pain patches. In case the pain is still uncontrolled then you can attend a pain clinic and get the appropriate drugs prescribed according to the severity of the pain that you are having. You can also add some oral muscle relaxants for relief. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL