Is it normal to have numbness while taking steroid treatment for spider bite?

Good morning. I am getting steroid shot and topical steroid treatment for some sort of bug/spider bite and it has been a few days of treatment. These bites are on my abdomen so I apply the topical cream twice a day as instructed. I have an area around the affected area that is numb to the touch. Is that common?
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: Numb to touch after applying steroids not common Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to healthcare magic. Numbness due to application of potent topical steroid is not common. I have not come across this symptom in any of my patients so far. However it has rarely been reported. You should also consider neurotoxins in the spider venom. That can cause numbness. Hope this helped, Take care.
Follow-up: Is it normal to have numbness while taking steroid treatment for spider bite? 12 minutes later
the bites happened over two weeks and the numb area is just now an issue.
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 14 hours later
Brief Answer: Numbness may not be due to spider venom Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome back. If the bite was two weeks back then it is unlikely that the numbness is because of that. I recommend you to complete the course as prescribed by your doctor and I feel your numbness will come down once the treatment is stopped. Hope this helped, Take care