Is it normal to have numbness and itchy toes with a history of back surgeries?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
55 year old male, I've had 5 back surgeries the last one was 10 years ago. The 2nd third and forth toes on both feet are numb. the toes on the left foot are numb and itchy and swollen one toe has a bump on it, the bump was on a different toe last week. Help
Posted Mon, 6 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: You may need to do MRI spine again Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. You may need to do MRI spine again to see for nerve compression If your new MRI shows disc bulge with nerve compression then surgery may help. Due to compression of this nerve root there is tingling numbness in your leg and pain associated with it. For these symptoms analgesic and neurotropic medication can be started. Till time, avoid lifting weights, Sit with support to back. You can consult physiotherapist for help. Physiotherapy like ultrasound and TENS therapy will help . I will advise to check your vit B12 and vit D3 level. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.

Follow-up: Is it normal to have numbness and itchy toes with a history of back surgeries? 3 hours later
dam doc don't you read or are you to busy. please read the question again because I have no idea what your talking about. Let me give you a clue it's not my leg. If that's best you got then I just got screwed out of 18 bucks.

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Seen in patients with compression of nerve Detailed Answer: Hello again, I apologies if my last answer was confusion. I shall try and clarify them now. As you described your pattern of numbness on 2nd third and forth toes on both feet. The toes on the left foot are numb and itchy and swollen one toe has a bump on it is seen in patients with compression of nerve due to disc bulge in spine. Therefore MRI spine is a useful investigation to exclude this possibility. If spine is normal then another possibility of peripheral neuropathy leading to numbness in your toes. There can be associated infection leading to swelling and bump. Routine blood investigation will help to rule out infection. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.