Is it normal to have nerve pain from hip to toes when suffering from idiopathic neuropathy?

Thank you I am taking carbamazepine 1000 mg a day for more than a year now to lessen severe idiopathic neuropathy pain. I have tiredness. I have a weaker memory now. I often switch words and jumble sentences. Thinking has slowed. I have developed sciatic like nerve pain from hip to toes. X-rays show only mild arthritis. I have been on and Lyrica Neurontin no help. I am also on Cymbalta several years some help.
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Saatiish Jhuntrraa 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Adjust medicines and start on physiotherapy Detailed Answer: Hello, First, I see you are on too many medicines. I am not sure if you require so many. Can we try and reduce number of medicines for example - a preparation containing frusemide and spironolactone; we may stop furosemide, potassium CL - stop fish and flax oil for some time etc. You can talk to your treating doctor about its benefits and stop them if necessary. Second Cymbalta is helpful . It means there is an element of Fibromylgia as well. So raising the doses may be helpful in tiredness, weaker memory and slow thinking. Third you may be benefited by Vit D3 estimation and free testosterone level determination. Falling levels of either can cause severe pains, tiredness and many other problems Fourth one may be tempted to think of age related memory problems. They may be due to vascular changes secondary to hypertension or age. This has to be clarified by appropriate investigations like neuropsychological evaluation for dementia . These medicine alterations should be done after discussion with your doctor. Last, but very important , I would suggest you to start on appropriate physical exercise schedule. This alone will help in lots of your problems. Good Luck DR SAATIISH JHUNTRRAA