Is it normal to have mild cramps in second trimester of pregnancy?

Mar 2016

My daughter is in her second trimester of preganancy and iscramping. she wants to know if thats normal. Said its not to painful and its all the time
Posted Sun, 10 Mar 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. S Patra 45 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am happy to help you.

In second trimester of pregnancy, mild cramps or aching is quite common & normal thing as the uterus grows continuously to upwards and the muscle fibers stretch. Some women feels mild uterine contractions, named XXXXXXX XXXXXXX in which the uterus flexes its muscles. Most of those cramps/ aches and pains occur at night. Relaxin hormone may cause the same feature with pelvic and cervical expansion & relaxation.

Some other possibilities of abdominal cramps are as follows:

1. Constipation-associated with displacement of the intestines.
2. Bladder or UTI) or pressure over ureters.
3. Round ligament spasm or indigestion problem.
4. Baby movements are also associated with cramp.

Here, I suggest her to consult with obstetrician to rule out any type of triggering factors that cause all time cramp through clinical examination & some tests like ultrasound scan of lower abdomen (may be needed), urine examination- routine/ microscopy etc. She may need to take some anti spasmodic medication like drotaverine tabs in case of much painful cramp.

She must follow these things for healthy pregnancy :

1) Take healthy protein XXXXXXX diet with extra 350 Kcal/ day and consume more vegetables & fruits.
2) Drink more water/ fluids for better feto-placental circulation. Keep bowel habit regular also.
3) Start taking Iron/ Calcium tablets with other nutrient supplements as prescribed by her doctor till the delivery of the baby and later.
4) Complete avoidance of any type of heavy work/ long journey / using high heal shoe etc.
5) Take adequate bed rest, preferably 8-10 hrs in divided schedule and preferably in left lateral position.
6) Maintain genital hygiene properly and check weight gain & BP periodically.

Hope, above information is very much sufficient to you. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish her good health with successful journey of pregnancy.

Dr Soumen.