Is it normal to have memory problems after trying marijuana?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2014
Jun 2014

Psychiatrist
Question
my son tried synthetic marijuana two days ago and since then has complained about forgetting things he done unless he "thinks hard about it to remember." for example he can get up and go make a sandwich then a little while later forget he even did so without an effort to remember. needless to say im very worried. is this temporary. is it normal. can you help me at all?
Posted Mon, 10 Mar 2014 in Drug Abuse

Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: Consult a psychiatrist Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, psychiatrist would help you in this query. Synthetic Cannabis is a family of compounds that when consumed mimics the effects of Marijuana. Synthetic cannabinoid intoxication is associated with acute psychosis. The elimination half life of synthetic cannabis is 2 to 10 days, rest depend upon the dose or quality of synthetic cannabis. It usually lead to euphoric effect that last for few hours or days, but in some case, it lead to hallucination, paranoia or confusion or decrease self care etc that is towards psychosis. Kind of behaviors, you are explaining, are towards acute psychosis. In that case, i think you should consult a psychiatrist. If he has underline psychotic symptoms, he would improve with antipsychotic. Dose of antipsychotic depends upon the mental status, for that consult a psychiatric as soon as possible. In case you need further help, you can consult me. Regards Dr. Abhishek Kapoor Psychiatrist

Follow-up: Is it normal to have memory problems after trying marijuana? 1 hour later
do you think these symptoms will go away in 2 to 10 days once it wears off?or maybe the use triggered something?

Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Depend upon mental status examination Detailed Answer: Hi If he has only confusion kind of state, that would go within few days after complete elimination of cannabis. If he has underline psychotic symptoms, that would stay for long. Rest depends upon his mental status examination. Treatment would depend upon his mental state. For that consult a psychiatrist for proper evaluation. Regards Dr. Abhishek Kapoor Psychiatrist

Follow-up: Is it normal to have memory problems after trying marijuana? 5 minutes later
thank you so much sir. that was very helpful. good day

Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thanks Detailed Answer: Thanks and its my pleasure to help you. Regards Dr. Abhishek Kapoor