Is it normal to have lower back spasms post hysterectomy?

Mar 2013
I am having severe lower back spasms since I had my hysterectomy 2 1/2 weeks ago. Is this normal?
Posted Mon, 30 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer: BACKACHE IS NORMAL FOR 4 - 6 WEEKS POST OP Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. For upto 4 - 6 weeks after hysterectomy, some amount of pain and discomfort is common. Lower back pain and spasms might be more common and ' normal ' particularly if you had spinal anesthesia for surgery. Also, since you haemorrhaged a few weeks ago, you might be mobilizing about just a couple of days back. Hence, on being up and about, you do feel lower back pain and pain in the pelvic area for a few days. As long as you are not having bleeding / intractable continuous pain / dizziness and fainting, you should not worry. Would you tell me what was the indication for surgery, how was it done ( open or laparoscopic or robotic or vaginal ? ), the reason for the post operative haemorrhage, and the subsequent management - these could shed more light on your post operative course. All the best Please feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: Is it normal to have lower back spasms post hysterectomy? 25 hours later
reason for hysterectomy was continuous bleeding. I had a laparoscopic removal of uterus only along with a bladder suspension. 2 weeks post op, I had a blood vessel that burst which caused the hemmorage. I had surgery to repair that.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello again. Was the repeat surgery also laparoscopic ? And are the spasms better by now.. they should be. Take care.