Is it normal to have lower abdominal pain after swab test?

Hi is it normal to have lower abdominal pain after a swab test. I had a swab test yesterday and ever since I have had pains in my lower abdomin mostly on left side. Is this common?
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 53 minutes later

Thanks for the question.

Pain after a swab test doesn't seem normal and it is not common also. There can be several causes for lower abdominal pain ranging from an infection in the gut to an ovarian cause. I would like to know if you have any other complaint like diarrhoea, fever, vaginal discharge, or anything besides the pain. This will help me guide you better about the reason behind the pain.

Ideal approach in any abdominal pain is to see a doctor. Depending on the exam findings, doctor can make a primary diagnosis and get investigations like ultrasonography done.

Awaiting your reply.
Follow-up: Is it normal to have lower abdominal pain after swab test? 1 hour later
No, no other symptoms at all. I may have a slight temperature if any at all. I am speaking to my Dr tomorrow so I can ask again.

Its mainly my left side right in my lower abdomin/back. Its not excruciating just uncomfortable. When i turn or bend to my left it feels a bit worse. Im really scared its an STI. Can you think of anything else it could be pertaining to the left side?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 7 hours later

Thanks for follow up question.

In view of left lower abdominal pain, few possibilities that can be considered are sore back muscle, kidney stone stuck in ureter, ovarian issues and gut infection etc.

With no other symptoms, I would not expect something very serious, so please relax.

With those symptoms possibility of STD seems quiet unlikely.

Please see your doctor and as discussed, consider getting an ultrasonography done.

Please let me know the follow up evaluation by your doctor.

Awaiting your reply.