Is it normal to have loss of sensation in legs when suffering from spinal stenosis?

Nov 2013

My nearly 65 yr old husband has had 7 back surgeries and is fuse from L-5 to S1 He has spinal stenosis and over growth of bone He doesn't have any sensation in his legs and it also affects his feet (neuropathy). He is planning on taking care of his invalid mother. Which I'm sure will require him to lift her and probably pick her up after falling. What is your advise on this situation? He worships his mother. The love of his life is not me but his mom. I'm concerned about my husbands spine health. Is he putting himself in danger of serious problems? or I'm I being anxious for nothing? Thanks Jacki
Posted Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query regarding your husband. Based on the information you have provided regarding him, it is not advisable for him to either lift his mom or carry her. These activities (lifting heavy weight and forward bending) may put undue strain on the lower back, and aggravate low back pain or disc prolapse. However, he can take care of her in other ways, such as giving her food, helping her with daily chores, etc. The other unfortunate situation where he does not love you, and loves his mother more, may require discussion and mutual understanding. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG: