Is it normal to have loose motions and abdominal pain when 6 weeks pregnant?

I am 6weeks and three days in to my pregnancy and I just started having loose motion for the last two days and a mild intermittent abdominal pain. The only thing I have done differently is take Materna (generic version) and I had nachos with cheese. So far I have only been eating moderately and drinking milk every night (one small glass). I really am worried please do help
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 45 minutes later

I can understand your concern for these loose stools in the first trimester. In some women it is quite common to have loose stools in the first trimester. This may be due to a fluctuation in hormones, prenatal vitamins, changes in diet, increase in water consumption or due to abdominal infections causing food poisoning or gut infections.

Stop taking the generic version of Materna and avoid taking fatty or spicy foods and milk. Instead take foods like bananas, rice, applesauce, toast, yogurt (instead of milk) and lean meats. Do not take any medicine on your own without consulting your doctor as it may have teratogenic(induce defects in the fetus ) effects on the fetus. Keep your fluid levels optimum by drinking lemonade or ORS (ORAL REHYDRATION SOLUTION) so as to prevent any dehydration.

If the severity of loose stools and abdominal pain increases then get a stool examination done after consulting a gynecologist. You may need antimicrobials in that case.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health.