Is it normal to have leakage through left nostril and swollen eye post nasal endoscopy?

Nov 2013

Hi hi my sister had CSF leak repair through nasal endoscopy.she had a leak through right nostril post surgery her left eye was was a like a jelly on left side of her left eye beside the retina .she was given some drops post which the swelling came down but i feel her eye ha become crossed.I mean the position of eye is shifted or movement is not in synch with right eye.Is this possible.what needs to be done.please give detailed answer.
Posted Thu, 16 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. I have noted the symptoms of your sister and the medical details. Based on the description, your sister seems to have weakness of eye nerves, called as ocular motor nerves. There are three nerves responsible for moving the eyeball in different directions, namely the oculomotor (third nerve), trochlear (fourth nerve) and abducens nerve (sixth nerve). The position and movement of eyeball depends on the nerve (one of these three nerves) affected. Clinical examination of eye movements and position can confirm which nerve is affected. If you can send a clinical photo of her eyes by taking a picture of her eyes at rest, on asking her to look up, down, left side and right side. The nerve involvement could be due to surgery (trauma) or due to an infection, such as meningitis (brain fever). If symptoms are suggestive, a lumbar puncture may be done to prove or exclude a diagnosis of meningitis. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG:
Follow-up: Is it normal to have leakage through left nostril and swollen eye post nasal endoscopy? 24 minutes later
she was having infection post surgery of csf repair in the left eye as i described. 1.Is it possible if operation was done on right side for csf repair(through right nostril-endoscopic) the left side of left eye getting swollen? 2.right now she is putting eye drops as suggested by doctor and swelling is come down but that eye is still red.and regarding movement is there in eye and vision is clear but the movement is little out of pace from the movement of right little out of synch.Is it possible this will get self corrected once infection goes off completely? 3.there is a swelling in her cheaks area like in bone just below will this be self corrected ? 4.the swelling i am refering to is on left side of face so can this be linked to the eye movement in left eye and will all these issues get resolved once the swollen area get normal?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Thank you for getting back and asking for more information. 1. Yes, it is possible because there is continuity of structures internally, so, operation done on one side can lead to problems on the other side. 2. We expect improvement in eye position and movement with treatment. 3. Swelling in cheeks could also be related to the same infection and would improve with treatment. 4. Yes, the swelling on the left side of face, and eye movements would get corrected with treatment. I hope it helps. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)