Ask a Dentist   »  

Is it normal to have large bumps on my gums after a tooth extraction?

In 2010 I had two root canals. The upper molar #16. The root canal didn't seem to take the tooth was continually problematic. I kept returning to my dentist and finally I took it upon myself to see an endodontist in 2013. The endodontist cut the roots of the tooth, but still I felt pain. I finally asked for the tooth to be extracted. Last week an oral surgeon extracted the tooth and placed a bone graft for a future implant. This happened 7 days ago. Antibiotics are done now; there is still pressure around the area. Today the bumps which I believe are fistula have appeared on the gum. Three large hard bumps Obote the extracted tooth and many small ones above the gums of my front teeth. Will this ever stop? Do I need to be worried about an infection in the bone? I also have a burning sensation on my tongue.
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Dipti Singh 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: It can be a cyst which has formed due to infection Detailed Answer: Hello, XXXX Thank you for consulting with healthcare magic. This is Dr. Dipti Singh here to answer your query. As you are mentioning that you had this tooth infection since 2010 again in 2013 you went for endodontic treatment for the same tooth, but if the infection of the tooth was since 2 years may be it would have progressed from abscess to a cyst. And if it would have formed a cyst then the infection might have there even after extraction. According to me once you should visit the oral surgeon, get an OPG done as it is a full mouth x-ray, which will reveal the full infection and its area also, which will be helpful in treating the case. Yes the bump you are mentioning can be a fistula as in case of chronic infection the pus try to ooze out and forms an opening. Regards Dr. Dipti Singh