Is it normal to have d dimer coming at 343 without having blood clot?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Why is my d dimer coming at 343 ? Shouldnt iy be under 250 if i have no blood clots? Please explain why it is 343. This makes me nervous
Posted Wed, 18 Dec 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. First,in medicine you should never treat laboratory findings,you need to treat the disease. So if you dont have any symptoms such as breathing difficulties, legs swelling or bleeding disorder, you dont have to be concerned. D-dimers is test for evaluating deep vain trombosis, pulmonary embolism and other coagulation disorders but also it can be elevated in some liver diseases, rheumatoid , any kind of inflammation/infection, trauma, pregnancy, recent surgery or in advanced age. Secondly,350 ddimers is by some authors still within normal range,actually some labs consider upper limit to be 350. So it is questionable is it abnormal ddimer result at all. If you dont have those symptoms I ve mentioned above,you should just repeat test in 1 month and see will there be still elevation. If yes, then you should do more detailed hematologic tests,but I am sure it will be fine. Wsh you good health. Feel free to ask.
Follow-up: Is it normal to have d dimer coming at 343 without having blood clot? 5 minutes later
Thank you so much ! I am concerned because in july it was 225 and august it was 210 . I dont feel short of breath. I dont have any other issues except taking estrogen for fertility . I dont have rheumotiod disease, no recent surgery , no trauma. I am having ct scan chest with contrast now at imaging facility. I am concerned because the labs were lower 3 months ago ??
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: It still doesnt mean anything if you had lower ddimers since findings normally vary form week to week just as every other blood test. Also,it can be caused by estrogen definitely. If you re still concerned you can do beside chest ct scan, doppler legs ultrasound and it will rule out any serious condition,but as I said I think that all you need is to repeat test in several weeks and see progression.
Follow-up: Is it normal to have d dimer coming at 343 without having blood clot? 1 minute later
Thank you ! Thank you
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: You are welcome. i am here to help you.