Is it normal to have cold sweats, hungry/thirsty and skin feeling greasy after alcohol intake ?

For the last few years whenever i drink alchohol however small the amount i feel terrible for 2-3 days. Drinking alchohol is not my issue however, im worried that maybe its because of an underlying issue maybe relating to my liver/kidneys etc? I have been to my doctor but he dismissed my concerns telling me that different people react differently to alchohol. I did have a blood test a few years ago and i have a high liver count if that makes any difference.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 45 minutes later

I would like to know a few things which would help me in answering you better:
1.Can you elaborate on the symptoms produced on consuming alcohol ?
2.Can you state or mail the reports (liver function tests) that have been done ?
3.Have you undergone any investigations like ultrasound of the liver, etc ? If yes, can you please mail or state the reports.

You can mail your reports to YYYY@YYYY with subject:ATTN Dr. Deepak S Anvekar.

Once the additional details have been provided, it would help me to give you right suggestions.

Awaiting your reply.
Follow-up: Is it normal to have cold sweats, hungry/thirsty and skin feeling greasy after alcohol intake ? 1 hour later
Its not hangover like nausea and headache, i have cold sweats, my skin feels greasy, and very hungry/thirsty, i also find it difficult to sleep.

I do not have the results from my liver fuction test, it was quite some time ago now.

I did have a scan of my liver around three years ago, the consultant said it was most likely a 'fatty liver' but again i dont have the actual results.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 1 hour later

Your symptoms do not appear to be due to involvement of the liver or the kidney.

Cold-sweats or cold intolerance, skin changes, inability to sleep - are some findings that could be due to hypothyroidism (Reduced activity of the thyroid gland).

In addition, hypothyroidism, results in altered metabolism, resulting in occasional symptoms of intolerance to alcohol.

Also, consulting a doctor and getting a physical examination as well as a few tests including thyroid function test, might be useful.

Fatty liver, is a reversible condition, and is usually due to intake of alcohol, as well as due to obesity. But continuous intake of alcohol can cause the condition to progress to alcoholic hepatitis and cirrhosis of liver. You might benefit by reducing the consumption of alcohol as much as possible or stopping it altogether.

I hope this helps.

I shall be available for any follow up questions that you might be having.