Is it normal to have bleeding after taking ipill for unprotected sex?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
i had unprotected sex on 9th dec and took ipill 4hrs after that...started bleeding on 11th...is that normal? is there any chance of pregnancy? how will affect my periods? got my last periods on 19th nov
Posted Thu, 2 Jan 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. S Patra 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: CHANCE OF PREGNANCY <1%. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments: 1) Yes, withdrawal bleeding after taking I-pill is normal thing. You don't need to be worried about this. 2) I-pill gives more than 95% protection against unwanted pregnancy if it is taken within first 24 hrs. In your case, chance of pregnancy is quite low (less than 1%). 3) Your next cycle will be delayed for 1 to 2 weeks from period due date due to hormonal imbalance and mental stress. Most women get late period after intake of I-pill. However, I suggest to undergo one home pregnancy test if your period is delayed more than 1 week. Hope, I have answered your query. Let me know, if you need further clarification. Wish your good health and practice safe sex in future. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Is it normal to have bleeding after taking ipill for unprotected sex? 30 hours later
how long will this bleeding continue? it is increasing..i m worried can there be heavy flow in withdrawl bleeding?

Answered by Dr. S Patra 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for follow up query. 1) Withdrawal bleeding after taking I-pill usually lasts for 3 to 5 days XXXXXXX In most cases, no treatment is required. 2) YES, heavy flow can occur in withdrawal bleeding. If the bleeding is quite heavy continuously, then you can take TRANEXAMIC ACID group of medicine to arrest or control that for temporary purpose. You would maintain genital hygiene properly. Hope, I have answered your queries. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query. All the best and good luck. Regards, Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Is it normal to have bleeding after taking ipill for unprotected sex? 18 minutes later
so as i am having heavy bleeding n abdominal pain now it is a sign that ipill is working? no chance of pregnancy right?

Answered by Dr. S Patra 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: WITHDRAWAL BLEEDING DOESN'T EXCLUDE PREGNANCY 100% Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for query. Withdrawal bleeding and abdominal pain occur due to effect of the I-pill. It is quite normal and physiological thing. However, it doesn't signify that there is no chance of pregnancy. You need to undergo one home pregnancy test if your period is delayed more than 1 week to clear doubt. Hope, it helps to understand. Good luck. Regards, Dr Soumen