Is it normal to have bleeding after taking contraceptive pill?

I had sex 2 weeks ago with my husband. I took next choice the next day. The week after I took it I woke up with blood stain on my sheets. I had some blood stained in my underwear for 2 days after that but it got lighter. It smelled like my period but didn't cramp but the first day it happened. I'm wondering if this is implantation bleeding. The blood looked like my period. So confused, I don't think I was ovulating I had my period on December 11. I also took 2 pregnancy test both negative.
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: likely side effect of the medication Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic Next choice contraception contains levonorgestrel hormone. If it is taken within 72 hours it is very effective, it reduces the risk of pregnancy by 88%. After the use of emergency contraception in some women, vaginal bleeding can occur.This can either in the form of spotting or heavy bleeding.The blood that you would have seen is likely as a result of the emergency contraception. Other possible side effects are abdominal pain, headache, nausea, fatigue. Pregnancy tests are usually highly accurate at detecting pregnancy if taken at the appropriate time which is 11 to 14 days after possible conception. If the tests that you did were done at this time or later then they are likely accurate. Emergency contraception only reduces the risk of unplanned pregnancy by 88% but consistent use of other forms of contraception ( the pill, injection, implants etc) offer 99% protection. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions