Is it normal to have abdominal pain in pregnancy?

Mar 2016

Is abdominal pain occurs in the 3rd month of the pregnency ?
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 59 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am happy to help you.

In first trimester or 3rd month of pregnancy, mild abdominal cramps or aching is quite common & normal thing as the uterus grows continuously to upwards and the muscle fibers stretch. Some women can feel regular rhythmic uterine contractions. Most of those cramps/ aches and pains occur at night. Relaxin hormone may cause the same feature with pelvic and cervical expansion & relaxation.

Some other possibilities of abdominal cramps are as follows:

1. Constipation-associated with displacement of the intestines.
2. Bladder or UTI) or pressure over ureters.
3. Round ligament spasm or indigestion problem.
4. Miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy- though vaginal bleeding is associated feature.

Here, I suggest her to consult with obstetrician to rule out any type of triggering factors that cause persistent abdominal pain through clinical examination & some tests like ultrasound scan of lower abdomen (may be needed), urine examination- routine/ microscopy etc. You may need to take some anti spasmodic medication like drotaverine tabs in case of much painful cramp.

She must follow these things for healthy pregnancy :

1) Take healthy protein XXXXXXX diet with extra 350 Kcal/ day and consume more vegetables & fruits.
2) Drink more water/ fluids for better feto-placental circulation. Keep bowel habit regular also.
3) Complete avoidance of any type of heavy work/ long journey / using high heal shoe etc.
4) Take adequate bed rest, preferably 8-10 hrs in divided schedule and preferably in left lateral position.
5) Maintain genital hygiene properly and check weight gain & BP periodically.

Hope, above information is very much sufficient to you. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health with successful journey of pregnancy.

Dr Soumen.
Follow-up: Is it normal to have abdominal pain in pregnancy? 1 hour later
What is the dignosis for the checking confirmation of pregnancy and also the no. of days to be count ?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for follow up query.

For confirmation of pregnancy, you have to undergo one blood test for beta HCG and ultrasound scan (USG) lower abdomen.

Pregnancy period is counted from 1st day of last menstrual period (LMP) date.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Take care yourself.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Is it normal to have abdominal pain in pregnancy? 37 minutes later
Will you please tell me

What is Pelvis USG test ?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 27 minutes later

Thanks again for query.

Pelvis USG scan is basically the same thing as lower abdominal USG scan. It is done to check status of reproductive organs within pelvic cavity. It also rules out possible pregnancy.

Hope, I have answered your query. Now, you can close the discussion & rate the answer.

Dr Soumen